[squeak-dev] Named serial port bug and how to contribute

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:25:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

I think I found a bug with the named serial ports in windows.
I can open a named port without problem the first time but if I close it
and try to open it again it fails until I restart the image. This doesn't
happen with numeric ports. I could reproduce this bug in both Squeak5.2 and
Pharo6.1 (both using windows 8.1).

I think the problem is that SerialPort>>#primClosePortByName: calls the
"primitiveSerialPortCloseByName" but I couldn't find this primitive
anywhere in the SerialPlugin source (
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/Cog/src/plugins/SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.c).
So I'm guessing that the port is never properly closed.

I added the missing primitive (find attached) and recompiled the vm, and
now it seems to work. So my question is: how can I contribute this small
fix? Should I commit to the VM Maker Inbox repository?

Thanks,
Richo