[squeak-dev] [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Oct 13 03:19:57 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05:40PM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> On 10/12/18, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > I think you did not understand.  Just because you "tested it and it
> > worked" TODAY does not mean that script will continue working forever.
>
> There is no such claim. The claim is just that it still works for 5.2.

+1

> > That's why we MUST NOT put a "Squeak 5.2" tag on it unless we make a
> > separate Release with a script that uses explicitly-specified
> > versions.
>
> > That's what we have now, I see no versions of "FFI" for 4.5, only
> > (head), 3.10, and 3.9.  The last two were published by Andreas.
>
> And that contains
>
>      Installer new merge: #ffiTests'
>
> That means this script has been working since 3.9, i.e. for 10 years.

+1

We do need some way to deal with this use case.

"Make another release of your package every time somebody in
Squeak/Cuis/Pharo decides to announce a new release of their image"
is not really a very good answer. It kind of works but ... yuk.

In user story jargon:

  As an external package maintainer, I want to declare that version
  X of my package works with version Y of Squeak/Cuis/Pharo, so that
  users of that Y can be reasonably confident that loading X into
  Y will probably work.

Simple. That's all I want.

Please don't make me declare a bunch of different "releases" of X
to keep track of all the Y's.

Dave