[squeak-dev] Open Croquet will ahve issues in next version of Mac OS X

LawsonEnglish LEnglish5 at cox.net
Tue Oct 23 00:28:15 UTC 2018

Well, the OpenGL plugin itself isn’t 64-bit last I checked, and I’m not sure what else. Croquet/Cobalt may auto-install stuff that I never noticed.

There’s also an issue with Croquet/Cobalt only working properly because every vlirny generates exactly the same (bit-identical) values in every possible respect.

Integer handling  (and 32-bit floating point) in 32-bit vs 64-bit squeak may break that. It may be possible to create “proxy” classes for integers and floats and use those in both 32-bit and 64-bit Croquet, and allow the objects on the client-side resolve any oddness, but as it stands now, my understanding is that a SmallInteger on a 32-bit VM isn't the same as a SmallInteger on a 64-bit VM and that is an automatic fail for the paradigm that Croquet is based on, so simply updating Croquet to 64-bit will automatically make it incompatible with 32-bit Croquet.

Which kinda defeats the original "deploy everywhere that Squeak works” philosophy.