[squeak-dev] Including build instructions for the VM in the online help?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:19:48 UTC 2018

Hi Hannes,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 12:06 PM H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that the proposal is to generate the build instructions
> ("build instruction assistant") based on the particular VM running the
> image on a particular OS.

I was thinking of something simpler.  If one opens the About Squeak dialog,
then in the VM General tab one would see something like

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Users/eliot/oscogvm/build.macos64x64/squeak.cog.spur/Squeak.app/Contents/MacOS/Squeak
Croquet Closure Cog[Spur] VM [CoInterpreterPrimitives
VMMaker.oscog-eem.2461] 5.0.201810311748
Mac OS X built on Oct 31 2018 10:50:28 PDT Compiler: 4.2.1 Compatible Apple
LLVM 7.0.0 (clang-700.1.76)
platform sources revision VM: 201810311748 eliot at Aeolus.attlocal.net:oscogvm
Date: Wed Oct 31 10:48:56 2018 CommitHash: 6fee3a7 Plugins: 201810311748
eliot at Aeolus.attlocal.net:oscogvm
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-eem.2461 uuid:
b3cd33f5-6309-43a1-b669-7a1805111f34 Oct 18 2018
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-eem.2464 uuid:
0b1fa0a3-a781-4fd5-b1cf-1809796ccbbf Oct 18 2018

To Build A Similar Virtual Machine
Visit https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm; obey the Clone or
download instructions, then read the HowToBuild file in the top-level build
directory for your platform(s), e.g. build.macos64x64/HowToBuild.

Hannes, including anything more than this means duplicating information and
increasing maintenance load.  As it is, this will have to be changed when
we reorganize the opensmalltalk-vm.  So to keep things manageable IMO we
should include the build information in opensmalltalk-vm and just include
pointers to that site form the image.  Since there are other VMs in use it
would be good to have pointers to build information for all of them.

Tim, re a Swiki page, I think that's also more maintenance effort.  The
Swiki VM documentation is woefully out-of-date and disorganized.  I';d
prefer to see it replaced by pointers to properly self-documented and
up-to-date repositories.

--
best, Eliot