[squeak-dev] swiki edit requiring https and log in?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Sep 18 00:58:49 UTC 2018

> On 2018-09-17, at 5:40 PM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>
> HTTPS is enabled for a bunch of squeak.org subdomains (for good reasons)

Undoubtedly!

> and it's easier to enable it for others than to disable it. I also don't see why we wouldn't want to have it enabled for our wiki or do you want to keep sending your login credentials in plain text through the web these days?

Thing is, for the swiki it *isn't* my login credentials - just the page specific (though usually the defaults that we publish on the page that explains how to use the swiki) values, so I'm not certain it is a worry. Certainly, using https in general is a good thing from what I understand. However. it seems like a not-quite-right thing to demand a log-in just for going to the edit page; surely the spirit of the swiki would be to request the password (only) when actually asking to save a new version? And I freely admit I have no idea how or whether that can actually be done.

tim
Oxymorons: Taped live