[squeak-dev] SqueakMap problems trying to add new release of MQTT

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:47:27 UTC 2018

Hi,

> > One thing that would help is to understand that the server is still
> > running on a very old version of Squeak (3.x), and that the
> > serialization takes longer than your local image's timeout setting.
> > So you can avoid the timeout error by increasing your timeout, or
> > just be aware of that to know it'll eventually get saved.
>
> We can probably do better but obviously not at this stage of a release. Handling the timeout signal more 'politely' would be a good move if there is a good way to do that. Not knowledgeable enough about sockets to have a strong opinion though.

We definitely will.  I'm working on a GraphQL framework in Squeak and
want its first project to be a hosting of the object returned by
SMSqueakMap default.

> > As for your 404, the instructions at the wiki:
> >
> >   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180
> >
> > instruct you to select "Create New Release" (step 8).  The additional
> > "Edit Release" step was put in only after you had changed the
> > SqueakMap client to default to the "template" script instead of the
> > script of the selected release.   I have since fixed that, so maybe we
> > can put the wiki instructions back.
> >
> > But why did you think you wanted "Edit Release" to create a new
> > release?
>
> Ah, I didn't; just a poorly written explanation I guess. I used the Create New Release first time, got the timeout and then thought that editing that new release (which had been created so far as the 'update' was concerned) might allow me to do a kinda-sort retry, Obviously, it didn't.

"Edit Release" only updates the Release entry, one of whose fields is
the downloadUrl, but it does not actually upload the file.  "Create
New Release" _does_ upload the contents of the lower pane as a .st
file, accessed by the #downloadUrl.

> So, let's try a new image and see what happens - SM updates the catalogue and does *not* have any of the new stuff included. That's probably good? Squeaksource is very slow to respond right now

squeaksource.com is also still hosted on a very old interpreter image.
After the 5.2 release I plan to work with Dave Lewis to get both
squeaksource.com and source.squeak.org both updated and running on the
same code base (which resides in the /ss repository).  Performance
will be improved and, hopefully, a solution to the scalability issues.
In the meantime, treating trunk with the respect it deserves by
committing only finished and tested code, is the best way to slow
further degradation.

> whether from Squeak or Safari, but has finally given me the mcz to load; loads ok. Create new release, fill in everything, save... completes without complaint. Update SM catalogue, includes new version. Excellent... except there's nothing on map.squeak.org so maybe something has messed up the image at squeakmap.

I will try to remember to make a video showing how to do it.  Once
learned, it really is quick and easy, and it works.

 - Chris