[squeak-dev] High language to express low level code

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 16:09:12 UTC 2019

Hi Pierre,

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 11:03 PM pierre misse <pierre_misse25 at msn.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to create a "high" level language to that aims to
> express low level concepts through transpilation to C.
>
> I have a limited experience building such programs, and thought people who
> build virtual machines would be the right group of people to ask what they
> need in low level programing!
> I've also made some research, and stumbled Slang, on which i found little
> documentation (probably because i didn't find the right combination of
> words).
>
> So if you have a bit of time to share, i'd love to know:
>
>    - What you kind of concepts you need

That depends pn the architecture you choose.  There are static and dynamic
approaches, approaches centered around optimization and JIT com platoon and
approaches centered around embedding a domain-specific language (DSL) in a
high-level language to allow for specific low-level code to be generated.

I would love for you to direct your attention to Ronie Salgado's work on
Lowcode, and Clément Béra's and my work on Sista and Scorch.  Ronie's work
is a combination of providing a DSL for communicating with graphics
renderers.  This fairs within the extensions to the bytecode set Clément
and I have designed for aggressive adaptive optimization in the context of
a JIT.  Note that Ronie's subset of bytecodes has also shown speedups in a
pure interpreter.  We have papers on both systems.

>    - What's not required, but interesting
>
> I don't have time or resources to explore the inessential ;-)

>    - What you'd wish to hide from C to be taken care of by the transpiler
>
> For me C is an implementation language; a portable assembler.  There
really isn't any need to hide anything from C.  But the only time I pay
attention to C is when I have to debug the system in the C world, which is
thankfully rare, or shen the transpolar has a bug which manifests as a
failure for the C to compiler.  So it's not an issue of hiding or revealing
things to C.  It's an issue of C not being a useful context in which to get
work done.  It's effectively write-only.

HTH

Thank you in advance.

--
best, Eliot