[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Apr 3 05:01:06 UTC 2019

Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 3. Apr. 2019, 03:18:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2019, Chris Muller wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jakob and Tim R.,

> first thing I have to do in a fresh Trunk image to load any projects from
> GitHub with their dependencies.
> to have it in the menu. Not that I particularly like Metacello, but I
> *need* it.
> > >
> > > You need a proper solution to dependency management, adding our
> >
> > You mean a tool like Metacello?
>
> In this case Metacello is a pre-req package needing loaded,
> so, no.  Are you making a joke?

Forgive me Chris, but are you joking? You do know what Metacello is, don't
you? It provides the very dependency management you are writing about and
it is *the* currently accepted standard way to load Smalltalk projects from
GitHub. This is not something I made up to fit my case (in fact I don't
like Metacello very much), but it is status quo. These projects place a
Metacello load script in their README files. It is basically used like a
platform requirement, like apt on Debian.

It should be handled the same as everything else:  a script that
> checks / loads Metacello and then the dependent app, and store that
> script in SqueakMap.

Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be
delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give
squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!