[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Wed Apr 3 05:11:18 UTC 2019

Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> schrieb am Mi., 3. Apr. 2019, 04:26:

> I'm planning a major upgrade to SqueakMap later this year that keeps
> the existing model but server and UI upgraded to an AppStore-like
> experience.  It'd be great to have GitInfrastructure and Metacello
> entries in there along with some of the interesting git-based projects.
> A consistent one-click experience to "load anything" is good for
> Squeak.  One click would get you the whole way there (configuring a
> new image) instead of only half way as when starting in the Do menu.
> Easier for others to bootstrap and look.  Maybe participate.
>
> Best,
>   Chris

Sounds nice, but we don't have it yet. So please let's keep the menu
entries around in the meantime. (Side note: can we please include a
function to mostly autogenerate a SqueakMap entry for a
GitHub/Metacello-based project in the new or old tools?)

How are you supposed to tell a so-called newcomer how to install your
GitHub-based project today? Go to help extending the system find the piece
of text that reads Installer ensureRecentMetacello mark it open the context
menu click do it blah blah blah. When all they would need to do is click on
a menu entry from the docking bar.