[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Thu Apr 4 20:22:21 UTC 2019

Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 21:54 Uhr schrieb Jakob Reschke <
forums.jakob at resfarm.de>:

> Am Do., 4. Apr. 2019 um 16:51 Uhr schrieb Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net>:
>

>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Jakob Reschke wrote:
>>
>> > Installing the current incarnation of the refactoring tools might
>> > be another good candidate for an image initialization shortlist. I
>> > mostly live without them just because the buttons to install them
>> > are too many clicks away...
>>
>> Where are they?
>>

> That's part of the guessing game, isn't it? ;-) tl;dr: the "Refactoring
> Tools" are on the SqueakMap for Squeak 5.2
> [...]
> So there we go:
> 1) open SqueakMap Catalog from Apps menu
> 2) no packages there (Trunk image), have to right-click the package list
> and disable "New safely-available packages"
> 3) enter "refactoring" in the Search package box, hit return. Takes me to
> AwesomAtom first. Hmm. Unfortunately Refactoring Tools starts with an R, so
> I won't get there with repeated return hitting any time soon
> 3½) since I happen to already know the name, scroll down to Refactoring
> Tools manually
> 4) right-click, Install. "The package has no published release for your
> Squeak version [...]". Yes. Another warning prompt, yes.

Problems for a newcomer:
1) What is SqueakMap? Or how would I even know I need to look at it, it is
not mentioned in the Welcome to Squeak text.
2&4) Newcomers should definitely stick to release images :-) and hope that
the packages have versions for the latest one.
3) The search mode seems unintuitive (although I guess I understand why it
does what it does)

I hope that the experience is improved and simplified with the changes
Chris has coming.

I used to install Metacello via SqueakMap before the item in the Do menu
appeared, so my annoyances were 2), 3), 4). Looking up the install snippet
on GitHub is not faster. Typing Installer ensureRecentMetacello is faster,
but then I have to remember that. I didn't know about the "Extending the
system" page until two days ago.

Still I'd rather like to keep the Metacello item in the Do menu. Or Apps or
Tools. Doesn't matter to me whether it is at the top, in the middle or at
the bottom. After clicking that, I can continue to copy the install script
from the GitHub project's README that I had right in front of me when I
decided that I need to grab a new trunk image.

The community might decide to drop the Git infrastructure item (remember
Chris: I did not put it there, the fans of it did), but I think easing the
access to GitHub projects is important in the present and the future.

Kind regards,
Jakob