[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-cmm.1059.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 00:43:12 UTC 2019

Hi Jakob,

I agree with the UI problems you mention about the in-image SqueakMap
client window, but those are just ToolBuilder configuration
superficialities I or someone will eventually fix.  In the meantime, I
adamantly want to reduce the number of places in the IDE where we tell
people to load things from.  For now I've moved them to the Tools
menu, as you suggested.

I also recognize a perception on your part of Squeak and its community
being like the group identified on the home-page of github.com:

    "Built for developers"

so hope you won't mind me reminding that the audience for Squeak goes
beyond that group.  Squeak should continue to cater to Users, because
they're not as tough as Developers.  As a developer, you can
appreciate a modular system capable of loading IDE plug-ins.

> These projects place a Metacello load script in their README files.

I wasn't trying to change you if you have a special use-case or
preference for doing configuration that way.

> Yeah, projects that use Pharo or GemStone as their primary platform will be delighted to hear that they have to maintain a SqueakMap entry to give squeakers a chance to try their stuff. Not!

Of course it's not mandatory, but I think you're kidding yourself if
you think Users (and even Developers) in 2019 will be delighted to
know they have to do a lot of research and work (hint:  a lot more
than 9 clicks) just to figure out how to try out your project.  That's
what SqueakMap was designed to solve:  fixed configurations that
present the project, and work forever on a particular version.  It's
targeted to helping _others besides you_ configure their system so
they can evaluate your project's latest working version to decide if
they want to invest the time in setting up a dev configuration.  But
often others will capture load scripts and document them on SqueakMap
for themselves, you don't have to do it if you don't want.

 - Chris

 - Chris