[squeak-dev] Git and Squot questions
bernhard at pieber.com
Thu Apr 11 12:32:46 UTC 2019
Thanks for implementing Squeak support for Git. I have a few ;-) basic questions.
As a first test I did the following:
1. I opened the Git Browser from the Apps menu.
2. In the Projects list's context menu I selected New project… > Add new project
3. I entered squot-test1 as the project's name.
4. I created a new directory in the directory containing the image named squot-test1, selected it and clicked Accept.
5. I created a new empty class name BpSquotTest1 in a category with the same name.
6. In the Projects list's context menu I selected Change tracked packages.
7. In the newly opened window I selected the folder squot-test1and clicked ok.
8. In the Git Browser I clicked the Commit Button.
9. In the newly opened window I entered a commit message and clicked Commit.
10. In the Git Browser's Objects list I now see BpSquotTest1.package and Unrecorded files.
11. In a terminal in the squot-test1 directory I executed git status.
12. I get the following result:
MacBookPro1:squot-test1 bernhard$ git status
On branch master
Changes to be committed:
(use "git reset HEAD <file>..." to unstage)
13. I added a new method named one to the class BpSquotTest1.
14. I committed the change.
Here are my questions:
1. Did I understand correctly that the Smalltalk image itself is used as the working copy?
2. Does that mean that there is no on-disk working tree in Squot and the on-disk repos are bare?
3. How do you edit other files then, e.g. a README file?
4. What does Unrecorded files mean in step 10?
5. Why is repo not clean in step 12? Did I miss a step?
6. How do I see that the working copy is not clean after step 13?
Any help is appreciated.
More information about the Squeak-dev