[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-fn.825.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sat Apr 13 07:16:59 UTC 2019

I am not so fond of this change. It feels like a slope towards JavaScript,
which has (not so) funny articles about the ridiculous implicit type
conversions. There was a change last year that disallowed putting numbers
(bytes) in ByteStrings and vice versa. This change goes kind of in the
other direction.

The #< of Character seems to support comparisons with numbers. But this may
never have been intended as it is a side effect of how the method is
implemented (comparing the #asInteger values of the Characters)? If it were
implemented in terms of #codePoint instead of #asInteger, it would not
support comparison with numbers, but still work for Characters.

Yet I see the compatibility trouble and the long history of
adaptToNumber:andSend:.

I would prefer if people wrote more asInteger/asNumber or asCharacter if
they need to ensure the types (because they expect that sometimes numbers
come in instead of characters, or the other way around), instead of relying
on implicit type conversions. It also forces them to think about which kind
of character to number conversion they want, referring to what Tim wrote:
are digit characters their number counterparts or their unicode code points?