[squeak-dev] Adding access to outer scopes to DynamicVariable

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 21:13:33 UTC 2019

Tim's reply kind've broke the thread but anyhoo: it is of course all
message sends; the problem is finding the right thing to which to send a
message. If the target of your message is meant to be something dynamically
scoped then delimited dynamic variables are the tool for the job.

I only didn't push Control into trunk because I was also pushing for kernel
minification. Seemed a bit hypocritical.

Levante I'm sure will point out that delimited dynamic variables are
expensive - they're implemented using reasonable exceptions after all. Yes
they are. They also actually work, unlike the current DynamicVariable
which, like Scala's implementation, doesn't behave sensibly after a stack
splice.

frank