[squeak-dev] Faster fibonacci

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 26 02:01:57 UTC 2019

> On 2019-04-24, at 1:29 PM, Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
> I've posted some enhancements with a  3-way Toom-Cook multiplication algorithm
> (it is a generalization of karatsuba, but we divide in n parts instead of 2, here 3 parts for Toom-3)

Wow. That's nearly twice as fast for the  fib(4784969) - 8.4 sec. Amazing. So about 10x over the original.
Now *printing* the number is rather slower and if you have any magic code to improve that it would be interesting.

I would *strongly* support putting the algorithm improvements into trunk. Very little code for colossal speedup and a really interesting exemplar of advanced algorithms.

tim
Strange OpCodes: ESBD: Erase System and Burn Documentation