[squeak-dev] SqueakMap updating fails to update files

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 20:28:45 UTC 2019

> One of the things I think we need to collectively get better at (and I suppose it extends to all software developers!) is handling errors more helpfully.

What is more helpful than the debugger?  You really should open it up
and take look at the actual HTTP request you sent.  Paste it into your
email message and we may have a chance to determine what the issue is.

>  It's hard and tedious in too many cases but worth it eventually. Saving a mcz to SqueakSource for example is *really* annoying when it fails after what seems like a lot of faffing just because you forgot to edit the repository stuff to add the uid/pwd. I bet there's a way to test it immediately and get the user to update before carrying on to success, for example.

No, the way Monticello handles that now is the right way.
Interrupting the user unnecessarily is never good, especially when
your system is in a half-saved state.  First it saves your Version to
your package-cache, so you have it no matter what, and your system is
in a secure state no matter what.  THEN it copies to the remote
repository, where things can go wrong (connection, etc.).  Adding a
modal question saves nothing, since either way, you have the saved
Version window on your desktop where you can then copy it once you get
your connection sorted.

If we were to improve this area of configuration, let it be to help
the user get their mc settings file set up -- because that is the very
best solution to that configuration issue.  A one time thing, and they
never have fiddle with mc id's / pw's in any image again.

 - Chris

 - Chris