[squeak-dev] swiki source suited to recent Squeaks

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 6 17:00:13 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-06, at 5:34 AM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, Chris Cunnington wrote:
>
>>> Here's how to do that:
>>> 1. Install Metacello from the Docking Bar's Tools menu's Metacello entry
>>
>> At the risk of being a petty, corrector kind of guy, and because I just tried this out, it’s the Do menu and Installer ensureRecentMetacello. I think I recall a some what long debate about adding this. It’s clearly quite valuable.
>
> It was there a few months ago, but since then it's been moved to Tools.

In my 5.3-18694 image it actually gets listed in the Tools menu as just 'Metacello'. Now, if it were the case that the first time you used it the metacello stuff were installed and thereafter some tool opened, that would be ok. But that isn't what seems to happen; choosse that option again and you get to install metacello again. That seems a poor choice to have in a menu that is basically for opening tools.

>>> 2. Evaluate (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfXtreams) project bleedingEdge load
>>
>> Or it will complain it has no knowledge of a ConfigurationOfXtreams.
>> I’m pleased to see that PEGWikiGenerator. Sean did a great thing there, because it’s a nice concrete example without having to fish around in VW. There are two other actor subclasses but the are sort of recursive and trippy. Parsers making parsers making parsers and so on.
>
> It's indeed a nice example. Too bad it needs external packages.

Yeah. Especially one that doesn't load properly from SM despite that being the only load-path I was able to google. There has to be a better way of finding stuff, surely.

tim
Useful random insult:- Ignorant, and proud of it.