[squeak-dev] The Inbox: HelpSystem-Core-dtl.110.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Aug 8 00:46:47 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 05:26:51PM -0500, Chris Muller wrote:
> +1 for adding #openHelpBrowser, but -1 for overloading #help.  Please don't.

Point well taken. I put #openHelpBrowser into trunk and moved my inbox
submission to treated.

> #openHelpBrowser is perfectly descriptive.  JavaDoc was never very useful,
> we don't need to try to save typing for this feature.  If you
> disagree, please consider integrating somewhere into the IDE (class menu?)
> but still use #openHelpBrowser.  The core library should not poach #help
> from the namespace.

Interestingly and somewhat ironically, the current implementers of #help
do nothing of direct interest to the hypothetical DynaBook user. They might
better be renamed to e.g. #helpString.

If the selector #help were to be implemented in some way that might be
directly meaningful to users, then what should it do?

Dave