[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-mt.856.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Aug 12 17:19:23 UTC 2019

Hi Christoph.

> 1. It's not really nice that CompiledMethod>>#isDeprecated is styled or even
> detected as deprecated :)

Well, for a single case, I did not want to add an extra check that is usually false anyway. Want it to be as fast as possible.

> 2. Would it be worth a thought to also style classes and all their methods
> as deprecated, which are in *Deprecated* categories? For example, when
> browsing through a MessageTrace, I think it could be helpful to see which
> methods are no longer relevant - for the same reason as Patrick mentioned.

Well, no. If those methods are missing their #deprcated explanation, take it as a chance to really deprecate those methods:

(1) double-check that there are no senders
(2) add "self deprecated:"
(3) maybe rewrite them to use the new interface

There is so much clean-up to do. ;-)

Best,
Marcel
1. It's not really nice that CompiledMethod>>#isDeprecated is styled or even
detected as deprecated :)

2. Would it be worth a thought to also style classes and all their methods
as deprecated, which are in *Deprecated* categories? For example, when
browsing through a MessageTrace, I think it could be helpful to see which
methods are no longer relevant - for the same reason as Patrick mentioned.

Best,
Christoph