[squeak-dev] swiki source suited to recent Squeaks

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Tue Aug 13 22:24:47 UTC 2019

Am Di., 13. Aug. 2019 um 22:46 Uhr schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> It turns out that the browser (safari and chrome) sends a string with CRLF
> line ends to us. Now, I'm a long way from keeping up to date with web stuff
> but really?  I thought we got LFs because unixy-things.
> [...]
>
> Two obvious questions come to mind here
> a) what on earth? CRLF? Is that normal or is it an artefact of some
> Seaside setup I can change?

CRLF is common among Internet text protocols, such as HTTP and SMTP.
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-2.2
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-2.3.8)

For textarea form elements in HTML, see
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14217101/what-character-represents-a-new-line-in-a-text-area
Seems
like CRLF is up to standards there as well, at least for the representation
on the wire.

In general, while HTTP does not mandate the end of line marker for the body
of the message (notwithstanding HTML form specs), it says in RFC2616: "When
in canonical form, media subtypes of the "text" type use CRLF as the text
line break. HTTP relaxes this requirement and allows the transport of text
media with plain CR or LF alone representing a line break when it is done
consistently for an entire entity-body. HTTP applications MUST accept CRLF,
bare CR, and bare LF as being representative of a line break in text media
received via HTTP."
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-3.7.1)