[squeak-dev] [Discussion] Tools > "Metacello" and "Git Browser"

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Aug 15 10:31:47 UTC 2019

@Jakob: You're right, there are two different aspects:

> Sounds like a preference feature for the various installer facilities, such as Installer, Metacello, SqueakMap (if it has its own and does not only use the others). Should Gofer and Monticello be included in that list? I think not because they are somewhat lower-level.

This would be definitively helpful for me. If possible, these services could even check the required byte size and compare it with a user-defined treshold to decide whether to ask :) So checking for updates would not necessary require user interaction, but downloading these updates would.

> Moreover, if the triggered action specifically indicates (in the label, not in the tool tip) to update or install something, I would not want another confirmation question after I clicked on it. Would you Christoph?

If the label contains the information, I would not see any advantages of another confirmation message. But as installing something would be a quite rare use case, I don't think it really matters.

Best,
Christoph