[squeak-dev] [Discussion] Tools > "Metacello" and "Git Browser"

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Thu Aug 15 10:37:12 UTC 2019

Am Do., 15. Aug. 2019 um 12:31 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:

> If possible, these services could even check the required byte size and
> compare it with a user-defined treshold to decide whether to ask :) So
> checking for updates would not necessary require user interaction, but
> downloading these updates would.

I think predicting the download size would be either hard or impossible
without designs changes. Metacello first has to load the baseline to see
what else it needs to fetch from the Internet. That could be more
baselines, which can in turn reveal more dependencies. In the case of
downloads from GitHub, I think Metacello downloads a whole copy of the file
tree as a zip, so once it has the baseline, it also already got the rest.