[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Graphics-ct.410.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 15 16:58:54 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-15, at 2:10 AM, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
> Of course, excessive use of #caseOf: might indicate the lack of an inheritance tree, but I don't think this is specific to #caseOf:, the same smell can be written with many conditionals as well.

It is a long understood truism that there is no language in which the poor programmer cannot write FORTRAN.

I've long ago lost count of the number of times I have seen stuff like

(thing isKindOf: Weeble) ifTrue:["do something daft"].
(thing isKindOf: Blobby) ifFalse: ["do related ridiculous thing that could be factored properly"].
thing doodah caseOf: .... etc etc

I used to find it disheartening. Now I just find it tedious and occasionally profitable as I get paid to make it right.

tim
Oxymorons: Government organization