[squeak-dev] [Please Review] Many fixes for Morphic's layout

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Aug 22 13:32:46 UTC 2019

I just merged the changes into Trunk. Keep me updated about any upcoming issues.

Note that we plan to finally add some tests for TableLayout. ;-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.08.2019 08:33:38 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
Further thoughts in this topic:

Since all those #cell* properties use the same values for all cells in an owner, there is no property that would compare to CSS margin. There is CSS padding, though, in the form of #layoutInset, which is "per cell" or morph. I am not sure whether #cellInset exists in the CSS world. Maybe there is no need because of CSS margin.

Comparing to the CSS box model, the biggest difference to Squeak's Morphic is the size (or extent) calculation. In CSS, "... width: 50px ..."  refers to the "inner-most" bounds, which are the #layoutBounds in Squeak. Evaluating "aMorph width: 50" in Squeak will make that morph 50px wide, while CSS would add margin, border width, and padding ... making it 50 px + ?? px

I think that Squeak's way of treating #width: and #height: is easier for the programmer. However, this would mean that any "margin" had to be implemented close to BorderStyle. Inset the border style. Then, #width: and #height: could keep their current meaning.

Note that there is Morph >> #layoutBounds: but that is used only for the layouting process. Hmm...  maybe I change #layoutBounds:, #layoutPosition:, and #layoutExtent: to #setLayoutBounds:, #setLayoutPosition:, and #setLayoutExtent: to make that more clear.

Maybe we need something that compares to CSS "... width: 50px ..." such as Morph >> #innerWidth:. ... no, that would include only border inset (see Morph >> #innerBounds) not #layoutInset ... maybe Morph >> #layoutWidth:. ... and so on. :-)

Best,
Marcel