[squeak-dev] Installer class side location methods and pbworks.com documentation

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 27 16:41:19 UTC 2019

That's pretty clever, and it's kind of sad that it can't work right now.

I found a few more bugs that could be fixed quite simply and might result in something that would enable much the same capability. I guess it can't be in regular use though or we'd hear complaints about the missing methods.

Given that it doesn't work, doesn't seem to have any current use and we don't know what #scripts should do, I propose to remove the Installer class>>install: method. An equivalent capability ought to be in InstallerWeb anyway, if someone wants to reinvigorate it.

> On 2019-08-27, at 2:38 AM, Keith <keithy at consultant.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> I wrote it and I don't remember sufficient detail.
>
> The idea was part of a suite of capabilities for the Squeak4.1 "new development model".
>
> The capability was that each version of squeak would be created by applying a crafted script to the previous version, rather than hacking away at a trunk repo.
>
> The scripts for various targets could be tested out and edited by contributors as it was embedded in a wiki page. Bug fixes were supplied by mantis, and called up by fix numbers, and the code was found embedded in mantis pages.
>
> These scripts would also unload as many palaces from the main image as possible, moving them into a curated list of packages (Sake/Packages).
>
> Bob the Builder, a continuous integration and testing tool also built on Sake, would run the scripts, build and test the images, periodically or whenever anything changed.
>
> Keith

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, when Piglet stubbed his fag out on the semtex.