[squeak-dev] Installing various versions of squeaksource is problematic

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 22:00:47 UTC 2019

> > A lot of work went into designing it to be easy to install and deploy on
> a Debian/Ubuntu Linux.   I wish I knew what you tried to do to know where
> it went wrong..
>
> Well as I said, it went fine except for that one Seaside method trying to
> write into a block arg. My notes say I tried the install on a plain 5.2

I missed that, sorry.

> and an updated one with the same results, but since it is always possible
> I screwed up, let's do it again to try to be sure.
>
> OK, interesting; a dead plain straight out of the zip 5.2-18299 does
> indeed load cleanly
> (though the asking for the user/password near the end jars a tiny bit).

Agree, but that's Seaside initialization, what solution would you propose?

> So what was the difference... well it *was* an 18299 image in the previous
> test but I did load my preferences file. Ahhh. OK, my preferences disables
> 'Allow block argument assignment' because, obviously, nobody would ever do
> that ;-) I must have set that and saved it quite some time ago.

Baaaad Seaside code...    should fix.

> Confusion resolved! I wouldn't say it was even worth 'fixing' the
> WAWikiRenderer>>swikifyPiece: method since it is from Seaside2 and
> hopefully there is some chance of a personalsqueaksource based on Seaside3
> some time.

Why?  So many important things to do before that...

> Perhaps making the install script enable the block-arg-writing during the
> load might be worthwhile.

That's probably quickest and easiest solution, yes...

> Thanks for doing that check-install; now to see if Raspbian will run the
> system...

Just want to set your expectations -- the Linux scripts were written for
Ubuntu and may have issues on Raspbian.   But please let me know how it
goes, I'll be very curious!

 - Chris