[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Installer-Core-tpr.434.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Aug 29 23:15:45 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-29, at 3:55 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 05:17:34PM +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> On 8/29/19, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> I'm not currently very familiar with feeding stuff into
>>> the HelpBrowser nicely.
>> [snip]
>>
>> This might be considered as a request for a tutorial on how to write
>> Help browser entries with style and executable code. (within the help
>> browser)
>>

> That's a good idea.

definitely.

> And of course there is "Installer openHelpBrowser"
> which feeds some basic things into a help browser, and might motivate
> us to improve our class and method comments to give the help browser
> something more useful to display.

For the moment I just set it to put the class comment in a help page. I haven't spotted how to register it so that it automatically appears, nor how to add subclass comments. I'm sure it isn't too hard.

I would suggest that we might consider having every class comment (where there is one!) appear in the help browser by default. I'd love to see classes have actual meaningful comments that explain what they are for. Those could then be connected into subject help books/pages to explain how to use classes together.
Wouldn't it be nice if the Help included a real, up to date, introduction to Smalltalk/squeak? And real documentation for all the things one needs to know.

Yes, I know; a lot of work. But what else are you going to do? Watch cat videos?

tim
Strange OpCodes: CMN: Convert to Mayan Numerals