[squeak-dev] Installing various versions of squeaksource is problematic

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Aug 30 01:06:26 UTC 2019

> On 2019-08-29, at 3:00 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just want to set your expectations -- the Linux scripts were written for Ubuntu and may have issues on Raspbian.   But please let me know how it goes, I'll be very curious!

First weirdness; in the SSRepository>deploy method we get an Error because there is no configsys.st file to add to the zip. I can't find any place that looks like it will create such a file, not any other mention. I just did `echo nil > configsys.st` to see if it would go any further.

Next problem is that #deploy explicitly refers to sqcogspur64linuxht, which is obviously not appropriate for Raspbian. It's also not the format (or indeed the same structure) as the release VMs, which could be problematic. If I use a similarly non-release Pi vm bundle and change the search to compensate ... lots of *.out files get blasted for a moment and then it sits busy.

The zipping worked, the unzipping worked, the system is actually up and provides the front page. Excellent! Adding an account seems fine too.

The `sudo svstat /service/squeaksource` test fails though; apparently the file does not exist. I'm not familiar with 'daemontools` - is it systemd related stuff?

I'll send the changed #deploy method offline. Cool stuff!

tim
Starbucks are, of course, run by the Caffeinatti.