[squeak-dev] Squeak and the SoundPlugin in cog VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 5 23:26:15 UTC 2019

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 08:40:41AM +0100, Christian Kellermann wrote:
> Dear Lists!
>
> I have written a VM SoundPlugin for OpenBSD's native sound system
> sndio. Which means that now I have sound in Squeak on this platform.
> However I am a bit struggling with the sound quality of SampledSound's
> like in the eToys SoundLibrary. Those produce an echo effect when
> played and I have been unable to determine the cause. However the
> Bach fugue Tests sound perfect so I am suspecting some miscalculations
> in sample data somewhere on the way.

It is good to hear that you are working on this :-)

> As I have been trying to confirm the 'normal' behaviour on Linux I
> stumbled over issues with the sound plugins on my ArchLinux box:
> None of them work.
>
> ALSA, OSS or Pulse Audio plugins error out in different stages of
> the drivers.

On my Ubuntu Linux laptop, the Pulse audio VM module works, and the
others do not. I have to explicitly ask for vm-sound-pulse, otherwise
no sound. So for me, the command line is (on my system, the 64-bit
Spur VM is run from /usr/local/bin/spur64):

  $ spur64 -vm-sound-pulse squeak.image

> Am I the only one? What's the last known good state of those?  What's
> the last known good state of sound output for the SoundLibrary
> SampledSounds?
>
> I have tried with latest master and trunk of both opensmalltalk-vm
> and Squeak.

It may be that you are missing some runtime libraries on you Linux
system. I am not sure what the actual requirements are, but for
reference here is what is currently installed on my Ubuntu system:

lewis at lewis-Gazelle-Pro:~$ dpkg --list | grep pulse
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:amd64                 1.8.3-1ubuntu0.4                                amd64        GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  libcanberra-pulse:amd64                       0.30-2.1ubuntu1                                 amd64        PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
ii  libpulse-dev:amd64                            1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        PulseAudio client development headers and libraries
ii  libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64                 1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        PulseAudio client libraries (glib support)
ii  libpulse0:amd64                               1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        PulseAudio client libraries
ii  libpulse0:i386                                1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               i386         PulseAudio client libraries
ii  libpulsedsp:amd64                             1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        PulseAudio OSS pre-load library
ii  libpulsedsp:i386                              1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               i386         PulseAudio OSS pre-load library
ii  pulseaudio                                    1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-bluetooth                   1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-module-x11                         1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii  pulseaudio-utils                              1:8.0-0ubuntu3.10                               amd64        Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server

> I am grateful for any hints. Once that works I will propose patches
> to the opensmalltalk-vm code base.

You will want to join the vm-dev mailing list for discussion of VM
and plugin contributions:

Dave