[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-eem.1285.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Dec 12 10:42:02 UTC 2019

Hi Nicolas. :-)

> What Eliot is saying is simply that we should call a spade a spade.

Ah, right. I was wondering whether #sendsMessage: can make sense in CompiledCode or should be deprecated as Eliot suggested.

There are the following classes in Squeak:

Symbol
- can be a selector

Message
- only appears via MNU?
- has no receiver stored because MNU callback has "self"

MessageSend
- like Message but no lookupClass
- has receiver stored
- alternative to simple BlockClosure such as [:arg | object foo: arg]

CompiledCode (or CompiledMethod)
- has all the instructions

***

Having a look at SystemNavigation >> #allSentMessagesWithout:, I wondered how to distinguish "symbol" from "selector" ... and there is also "messages" in the text. Sigh. ... some confusion going on there. :-)

... MethodFinder >> #findMessage ... then better called #findSelector ?! ... :-)

Best,
Marcel