[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1287.mcz

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 07:43:58 UTC 2019

On 13/12/19 9:05 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Let me correct this. The preference "swap control and alt keys" does
> *not* map control keys to printable characters. Just swapping. I think
> we should rename "Duplicate (all) control and alt keys" to "Overwrite
> all control keys with alt/command keys".

Is this preference really necessary? It just compounds the confusion.
CTRL (keyboard device) and ALT (application modifier) operate at
different levels of abstraction.

It is about time we contained traditional modifiers like CAPSLOCK/SHIFT
and CTRL within input plugins. Let plugins use these modifiers to map
key code 16r40..5f<->16r60..7f and 16r40..16r5f->16r00..16r2f.

Only ALT (CMD on Mac) modifier needs to be passed to the image and
handled its input handlers. Mouse buttons should be checked only with
ALT/CMD and not low level modifiers.

This separation of modifiers should simplify both the VM and the Image
code and be consistent with their intended meaning.

All we need is a new preference that states that VM will handle
machine-specific modifiers ;-).

Regards .. Subbu