[squeak-dev] #<-

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Dec 16 11:16:23 UTC 2019

Hi, thanks for your arguments!

I think that #<- would be symmetric to #->, such as #< and #>, etc. ...

Another example would be [Dictionary newFrom: {1 <- #one. 2 <- #two. 3 <- #three}], but I agree, readability is quite subjective here.

@Jakob:

> Sometimes I think one should separate Smalltalk the programming language from Smalltalk as a scripting language (in Vivide or your spreadsheets, Christoph). I find such brevity cool for the latter but I despise it for the former.

Interesting statement! From a scripting perspective, it would be great to have a maximum number of convenient utils. However, I find it always confusing when you start building a solution via scripting and then need to rephrase your code because scripting syntax is not available for real programs. This compromises the idea of the One Uniform Smalltalk.

Best,
Christoph