[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1287.mcz

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 09:11:43 UTC 2019

On 19/12/19 4:39 AM, Jakob Reschke wrote:
> If I understand Subbu correctly after re-reading the thread, he would
> like that you handle/implement a #terminate message instead. Ctrl+C is
> mapped to #terminate by an input plugin in this scenario. And Subbu
> seems to count this #terminate among the "virtual key codes". The
> mapping in the plugin would be configurable, like with xmodmap for X
> Server. @Subbu please correct me if I still got you wrong.

Partly right. Marcel's original post was to avoid confusion with
ctrl/alt modifiers and have a consistent way to handle them and
character keys in the image. I pointed out that modifiers are too low
level to handle in an image and so should be handled in a VM plugin.

My second point was that a keycode passed into an image is just a
number. It is the input handler in the Image which decodes it as a
Character or a command. Marcel's example assumed keycode as a Character
and an extra modifier to convert it to a command. But a numeric keycode
(like 16r03) may also hold a command (#copy). So a mapping is needed to
filter out commands from Characters in the Squeak Image input handler.
Objects outside of this input handler will only have to deal with
symbolic events not numeric events.

To summarize,

   VM Input plugin - reads modifier and key pressed -> numeric keycode
   Squeak Input handler - decodes numeric keycode into Character | Symbol
   Squeak objects - perform symbols or accept Character

Regards .. Subbu