[squeak-dev] The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-ck.85.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 23:35:44 UTC 2019

Hi Christoph,

> In other words, imho your approach of "waiting for a meaningful unit of
improvement" does not scale optimally. :)

Your example has nothing to do with scaling.  There's no "time-limit" for
committing.  All that matters is, either the cumulative changes you have
waiting on a package have exceeded a threshold of "meaningful" or they
haven't.  A single one character change to a literal isn't meaningful
enough, no matter how long ago it was done.  And, I don't buy that there
aren't plenty more improvements to be made, like comments and
categorizations, within the same package, which could be committed a "fix
pack".

Exactly. That's why we need a different strategy and improve the "back end"
> that manages that history. I can clean out my local "package-cache" if I
> need more space on my disk. But I cannot improve the "browse revisions"
> feature from where I sit. :-)

Hi Marcel, allow me to share this same analogy:  if our Squeak journey
represents a vacation, and on our first day already we've taken hundreds
and hundreds of pictures, including the McDonalds we stopped at for lunch
(uninteresting), but then only came away with 10 or so pictures of the
Grand Canyon (interesting), it doesn't matter if we have a 10TB hard drive
back home (which, we don't) to dump them to, it's the volume of those
uninteresting objects that has obscured the overall narrative of the
vacation and spoiled the "domain".

I try to review all packages.  Time is at a premium, and I bet it is for
you, too.  We should cultivate and review only interesting objects which
are worth the time to review.

Best,
  Chris