[squeak-dev] The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-ck.85.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 00:15:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:38 AM Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Chris wants a clean history with _meaningful_ chunks of changes.
> Other people want commits to be discrete/isolated changes, where "fixing
> typos" is one kind of change. (*)

I want that too, just not micro-sized singles.  **There's plenty to do** in
every package, please include a couple more non-critical typo's,
categorizations, comments, or obvious bug-fixes, and submit it as a "fix
pack".  The contents should be more significant than the packaging that
wraps it, not less.

> Everyone wants an efficient version control system.
>
> Also: code is easy to change, while people are very hard to change.
>
> Wikis have handled this for decades with a "minor edit" flag. (PhpWiki
> certainly had it in the last century.)
>
> If Monticello commits had such a concept, Chris could say "please don't
> show me dust" and other reviewers could demand "separate out the typo fixes
> from the interesting changes". I'm sure there are interesting technical
> discussions to be had, but my meta-point is this: quit arguing about
> process and invest in the tools and everyone can get what they want.

Interesting.  Something like that could be helpful.  Maybe even, "fix" or
"feature", that way it's less

 - Chris