[squeak-dev] Endless debuggers (was: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1610.mcz)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Mon Dec 23 16:55:38 UTC 2019

Am Mo., 16. Dez. 2019 um 14:32 Uhr schrieb Marcel Taeumel <
marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> hmm... I would rather not spread that recursion flag to outside Debugger
> class >> #openOn:... I will look into it. Thanks for those two bug reports
> that cause endless debuggers:
>
> 1. Generator step-over
> Generator on: [:g | g yield: #foo].
>
> 2. Error in a debugger's build-with method.
>
> Best,
> Marcel

FYI today there are still some cases that spawn endless debuggers.

It had it twice today, but unfortunately can't give you exacts steps for
reproduction.
1. Debug a test case, step over some long operation, interrupt with Cmd+.
to because of impatience, step so far in the second debugger that control
could theoretically return to the first one. Then there was some Context on
the top of the stack that did not seem to belong there, with a return
handler... Well I had a manual ping-pong situation between the two
debuggers. After pressing the wrong button it resulted in an endless stream
of new debuggers about not being able to return.
2. Press Into at the wrong place during a return handler (ensure:). Endless
debuggers about aboutToReturn:through: (I saw that somewhere). The stack
trace shows back-and-forth between Message>>sentTo: and UndefinedObject
doesNotUnderStand: #findContextSuchThat: -- see attachment.

Maybe I should finally start to remember taking screenshots. Both cases
seemed to be related to stack unwinding or ensure: actions though.

Is there a way to stop this if it happens? I have "Open tools attached to
hand" activated so I cannot click on Do > Utilities closeAllDebuggers...

Merry Christmas everyone.
Kind regards,
Jakob