[squeak-dev] Cmd-Shift-J

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 24 04:50:51 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-23, at 5:56 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hmm, interesting.  So one could imagine the interface to the refactored/shout etc being integrated with text editing so that to rename a temp var one simply selected ts it in the declaration within |'s and overtypes it.  That would be nice.

Sometihng like that might be possible. After all Shout has to work out a lot of this to colour things.

> But how general is the scheme?  Does it work for selectors?  I doubt it.

No idea. Definitely needs thought by someone into the whole structure of code stuff rather more than I.

> And so it could just be a clever idea.  What Levente points out with Ctrl-J & Ctrl-G is much simpler primitives that compose well are more generally useful.

Yes, but we should remember that we are (very) old farts with huge past investment in thinking of text editing. We laugh at Emacs users (mention not the vi users with their puny abacuses) and their fancy-schmancy macro messing with dead text in boring old files but honestly we're not so far ahead. I'd bet that within a single method context sometihng like Shout could be extended to work out that the word you just typed over is a selector and so the next thing to change would be  similar work that also appears to be a selector. Some flexibility in the spelling/matching might help too.  Seems to me a *code* editor that can know a great deal about the code it is editing should be able to help a lot more. Doing the UI right would definitely be 'fun'. Eh, another lifetime.

tim
Satisfaction Guaranteed: We'll send you another copy if it fails.