[squeak-dev] autoEnclose preference

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Dec 24 19:16:02 UTC 2019

Chris, I happily accept that for each ( there should be a ) *but* I think you skipped over what happens when you want to change where the ( is. Maybe you're just in the habit of streaming out code so efficiently that you never need to change that sort of thing but I make mistakes (occasionally, let's not get excited here) and want to delete a ( and type it somewhere else in the code. Habits are like Hobbits; they live deep in the ground and have hairy feet and are hard to get rid of.

> On 2019-12-24, at 7:12 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
>     some people really like auto enclose and dine people hate it.  Similarly some people like update menu selection on mouse click and others hate it. We are unlikely to find a compromise, or be able to vote and find a substantial majority one way or the other.  It is also true that not having the preference the way one wants us extremely irritating for each side.  The experience is of a system that is fighting you at every turn and is hugely frustrating.

Yup.

> So this group of preferences is the kind of thing that should be offered to the user as a configuration choice at setup.  Marcel abd the Potsdam folks did a brilliant job writing the initial preference configuration and it’s a pleasure to use.  I suggest, and ask for effort in implementing, that in this release one of the configuration options is a group preference for editing & selection which offers either the “old crusty“ choices of no automatic anything in editing and mouse selection

For the sake of brevity in the setup Whizzard I'd suggest having just one or maybe two choices along with an explanation that more detailed preferences can be found in the Preferences tool. And that your preferences can be saved and reloaded. And a reminder that when you set them in an image and save the image they are remembered.

We could also do with an improved UI for saving and loading those preferences since at the moment they only go to/ come from a file in the image directory which is a real pain for people working in multiple images across directories and machines.

tim
He who hesitates is probably right.