[squeak-dev] autoEnclose preference

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 02:29:53 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 1:16 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Chris, I happily accept that for each ( there should be a ) *but* I think
> you skipped over what happens when you want to change where the ( is.

Maybe you're just in the habit of streaming out code so efficiently that
> you never need to change that sort of thing but I make mistakes
> (occasionally, let's not get excited here) and want to delete a ( and type
> it somewhere else in the code.

Okay, nothing wrong with that, but I don't do that in my style because it
instantly unbalances my parentheses and forces me into text editing mode.
Since I only ever want to do expression editing, I:

   1) select the expression (alt+[space], swipe, or double-click),
   2) remove the existing ( by pressing Control+9,
   3) expand / reselect the new enclosure
   4) Control+9, to re-surround the selection with ().

Best,
  Chris