[squeak-dev] Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 02:46:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 4:48 AM Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> We have the preference "duplicate (all) CTRL and ALT keys", which makes
> CTRL-key and ALT/CMD-key combinations identical across all kinds of
> applications. So, that preference will also work in text fields by
> default. Workspace, debugger, browse, everywhere.
>
> HOWEVER, there is EXTRA duplication effort in TextEditor's
> (shifted)-command keyboard shortcut list. There are duplicate entries. See
> the bottom of TextEditor class >> #initializeShiftCmdKeyShortcuts:
>
> 1 to: cmds size by: 2 do: [ :i |
> cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "plain
> keys"
> cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 32 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "shifted
> keys"
> cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 96 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "ctrl
> keys"
> ].
>
> Do you need that extra duplication? So, do you want to DISABLE that
> preference BUT STILL be able to use, for example CTRL+D to trigger a DO-IT
> in text fields?
>
> I would say: NO. If I disable the key-duplication PREFERENCE, I want
> CTRL+H to trigger BACKSPACE and CTRL+D to move the cursor to the end of the
> line. That's just how control keys work. It would also simplify the code
> base.

I don't mean to be a problem-child but... the ones I'm most worried about
are the autoEnclose hot-keys.  I use them SO often, especially Control+9,
and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

I just tried an Alt+Shift+9 and it felt clumsy.  :(  It's dangerously close
to Alt+Shift+_, which kills the image quickly.  Control+9 is much quicker,
easier, safer, by comparison...    What I think we should do is bump it to
the next release cycle, to make sure we like this, possibly in a way that
introduces a remapping facility.  Changing this seems more like a change
than a "fix"..

Best,
  Chris