[squeak-dev] dynamic FileDialog pop-ups considered harmful

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 06:48:34 UTC 2019

Hi all,

A while back, we introduced a dynamic FileDialog pop-up to Save as... of
the world menu.  At first, it seemed like a good thing -- you can save your
image in a different directory from within Squeak, cool!, right?

So, why, when we use "fileOut" on the methods menu, don't we want to put up
this dialog?  Something doesn't feel right about that, right?

>From the users' perspective, the entire Squeak IDE has always operated
within and presented only its known, limited sandbox:  vm, sources, image,
local-dir, changes, and mc repositories.  Staying within this sandbox has
allowed the IDE to simplify a lot of operations.  Whether filing out a
single method, change-set, preferences, image, or even versioning an MC
package -- it's all (pre)configured so that the user, along with Squeak's
IDE, can maintain focus on presiding over the virtual object environment.
No regular IDE usecase has _ever_ bothered the user with information or
questions about the world external to that sandbox.

IMO, the external world (OS, etc.) should preside over its own objects,
just as Squeak's IDE should, over its, to each the maximum degrees
possible.  The new FileDialog is good for configuring MC repositories, but
I think we should back away from popping it up dynamically from the
lower-level IDE operations like Fileouts of code or preferences.
Encouraging users to use Save as... to do configuration could actually be
harmful.  Besides that, it's slow.

What do you think?

Best,
  Chris