[squeak-dev] The Inbox: PreferenceBrowser-tpr.98.mcz

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Dec 27 19:47:25 UTC 2019

> On 2019-12-27, at 7:44 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 05:58:28PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Why?  Preferences are specific to users.  An individual user concerned
>> enough to want their own preferences is going to want their own directory
>> to work out of.
>
> An individual user may work with more than one directory. For example, I
> have a ./squeak/squeak5.2 directory that holds stuff I have been doing
> since since the 5.2 release, and a ./squeak/squeak3.8 folder for things
> I was doing back in that era, plus a folder for VM work, and so forth.

And may well have many images in a single directory, making many-to-many the case.

I do quite like the suggestion to store individual preferences via monticello instead of explicitly in a file. I think the actual preferences mechanism might need some (long over due) changes to work well that way.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- ICH LIEBE RICH - I'm really crazy about having dough