[squeak-dev] [BUG] Text drag and drop to workspace unreliable

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun Dec 29 20:40:19 UTC 2019

Hi,

I just noticed that the newly introduced text drag and drop sometimes does
not work when dragging text between workspaces. It has always worked until
today so I suspect the culprit is among the more recent changes.

Problem:
When dragging the selected text from one workspace to another, sometimes an
object reference is copied to the bindings of the workspace instead of
pasting the text. In the target text, the newly created variable name
appears instead (e. g. text3997962) as if I had dropped another non-text
object.

At least the text is not removed from the source workspace when this
happens...

Problem #2:
It does not always happen. When dragging from a third workspace it suddenly
worked and then also from the second again. Then I reset my texts back to
the old state and now it is broken again.

Expected behavior:
The selected text from the source workspace is cut from there, and pasted
at the drop hand location in the target workspace.

Currently I have three workspaces #1, #2, #3.
If I drag the selection from #1 to #2, it works.
If I drag from #1 to #3 it does not.
Dragging from #2 to #3 does not work.
Dragging from #2 to #1 does work.
Now dragging from #1 to #3 suddenly does work... I dragged to the start of
the text this time.
Dragging back from #3 to #1 works.
Dragging from #1 to #3 to the end of it also works.
Dragging back from #1 to #3.
Resetting (Cmd+l, lowercase L) text of #3.
Dragging from #1 to the end of #3 does not work again. Variable pasted at
the start of the text.
Repeated dragging of the same text from #1 to #3 always pastes the variable.
Dragging to the middle of #3 works!
Dragging the pasted text inside of #3 to the end removed the text and
pasted a variable instead.

Hypothesis: it does not work to drop the text beyond the
TextMorphForEditView. And so far I might just have been lucky to always
have enough blank lines at the end of my target workspace. Workspaces #1
and #2 from above contain much more text than #3 and fill the whole editing
area of the workspace, so this would be consistent.

Squeak5.3beta
latest update: #19300

Kind regards,
Jakob