[squeak-dev] BUG/REGRESSION while debugging Generator >> #nextPut:

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Dec 30 19:53:59 UTC 2019

Hi Eliot,

you're genius, thanks a lot for your answer! :-)

First, for convenience only, here is a snippet to reproduce the bug even simpler:

| ctxt |
ctxt := thisContext.
[thisContext swapSender: ctxt] value "step OVER this line to reproduce"

I played a lot around with this issue during the last days, and I could not develop a perfect solution so far. But here are some considerations:

First, what exact behavior do we expect when stepping over some code that includes a sender swap, speaking in general? The current implementation wants to keep the process running until we return from the selected message - which is the desired behavior in most cases. Just in this special case, our problem is that the selected message will never return.
If I understand your goal definition correctly, the debugger would halt each time a sender swap occurs while the over button is pressed? I fear this could be inconvenient if you step over any method from a higher abstraction level that uses a generator in any deep implementation details. So I would like to refine the goal rather as "when pressing over, the process should be resumed until the suspended context is in the stack of the original context (i. e. where the over button was pressed)". For illustration, neglecting the whole optimization, Process >> #complete: should basically equal the pseudocode "self runUntil: [:ctxt | aContext = ctxt or: [aContext hasSender: ctxt]]". Would you agree so far?

Second, my approach was to modify #swapSender: to manually identify and transport these "essential" sender contexts. The attached changeset is really WIP, so it only works for the simplest examples, but it might give you an impression of my approach. It does not yet work properly for the following code, if you step over #contents, for example:

(Generator on: [:stream |
stream nextPut: #foo; nextPut: #bar]) contents.

If you like the idea, I will try to fix that later.
I know that this approach is in O(n) whereas the current implementation has a constant complexity only, but to me, this appears inherent and inevitable complexity.

However, we would need this modification only for debugging. This leads me to my next concern:
>From an architectural point of view, I would like to put this modification into a decorator class (DebuggedContext) that is only installed from #runUntilErrorOrReturnFrom:.
But it appears the VM does not like this, you cannot even do:

thisContext privSender: (thisContext sender changeClassTo: thisContext sender class newSubclass)

(computation has been terminated), unless you are debugging. I'd guess that primitive 160 always allocates new memory for the receiver, which would be invisible for the image, but visible to the VM. But I don't have any clue of the actual implementation! Any chance to get around this limitation?

In general, how would you think about this approach? Do you have any better ideas? Looking forward to your opinion :-)

Best,
Christoph