[squeak-dev] Annoying list morph selection/menu click bug

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Dec 30 21:04:33 UTC 2019

For some time now I've been occasionally irritated by a bug in the way lists seem to work. When it happens it really grates. It doesn't always seem to happen, which somehow made me sort of ignore it and adapt.

Today I actually took a look to see if I was imagining things and perhaps it was always how lists behaved - but no, it is a change since the 4.5 release. I first see the issue in a 4.6 15102 image but I haven't tried any more precise searching as yet.

What happens is that after selecting an item in a list - the obvious easy test is in a Browser - I <menu> and the selection is jumped to where the pointer is as I <Menu>. What used to happen - what should happen - is that the selection *stays where I put it*. I selected it for a reason; that being that I wanted it selected. If I move around and hit <Menu> later, with the pointer having moved around a bit,  I still want the same thing selected.

It's especially annoying when you get a combination of
a) having thre menu buttons in the correct order
b) a mouse with a sensitive scroll-wheel-middle-button
c) the list scrolling madly because your finger moves microscopically as you press the scroll-wheel-middle-button

So before I dig into looking for this, does anyone remember anything about this being done deliberately? A preference being changed that might cause it?

tim
Strange OpCodes: PNG: Pass Noxious Gas