[squeak-dev] MC true ancestors false positive?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Feb 14 01:07:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 05:46:17PM +0100, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> Still cleaning the inbox...
> I see this:
>

> *Name: Monticello-bf.540Author: bfTime: 3 May 2013, 12:06:01.01 pmUUID:
> 759525eb-5ca8-4ab2-9e4a-bddc7d0680dcAncestors: Monticello-bf.532,
> Monticello-fbs.539This is my allow-partial-commits mod, improved to always
> diff to the target repository, and merged with the latest fbs.359 trunk
> version.*
>
> It is not signalled as false ancestor, so it means that this ancestor is in
> history, or another package in history has same UUID (unlikely!).
>
> But in trunk there is a different package:
>

> *Name: Monticello-bf.540Author: bfTime: 4 May 2013, 8:13:11.165 pmUUID:
> b8904753-a5e5-4061-a912-49480229e91aAncestors: Monticello-fbs.539Add
> MCReorganizationPreloader which can resolve moves between arbitrary
> packages.*
>
> Do we really have two different Monticello-bf.540 in ancestors or what?
> Is there a morphic tool to visualize the ancestry graph?

No, such a tool does not exist. But I think that it would be very helpful
to have one.

Many years ago, we could use the combination of Connectors and GraphViz,
an external program driven by OSProcess, to make nice interactive graphs
in Squeak. This might be a good way to visualize the ancestry.

In principle, the conflicting names can be moved to treated inbox or
just deleted. But conflicting names do happen, and I think it is helpful
if the tools can help indentify these cases, and to visualize the actual
ancentry graph.

Dave