[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-cmm.1550112371873461.mcz

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 09:07:56 UTC 2019

Hi Chris,
i don't like this change because it looses a very important thing:
READABILITY

Monotonicity doesn't count as long as you have a tool that can sort out the
ancestry.
Since we always browse the versions thru some MC tools it's superfluous.
Monotonicity is mainly for helping us poor humans to quckly identify the
relationship between two packages in the graph.

This is only going to work with 3 to 5 figures in version number.
With 10 figures, this is ruining our brain and just does not work.
Please revert or put in inbox purgatory while we have a chance to discuss
it.

As for uniqueness, this is a small problem.
As long as we have unique ID, then we should use that for storing and
retrieving a package.
The ID is stored in the ancestry, so it's just a matter of using the ID as
filename in the backend rather than the ambiguous package name.
It's more complex because we have to change our servers and protocols, but
it would be the right thing to do.
I think that you are doing the easy but and not the right one with your
quick and clever hack.