[squeak-dev] MC true ancestors false positive?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Feb 18 21:30:30 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:45 PM Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Monticello repositories don't support duplicate names

... but only because we choose to give way more meaning to the version name
than originally intended.

E.g.,  MCDictionaryRepository, which is pretty much untouched since Avi's
implementation in 2003, happily stores two versions with the same name.

That's because #versionWithInfo: is the basic interface to a repository. In
fact, in an MCRepositoryGroup it should be fine to have have different
versions with the same name in two repositories, since it uses the same
interface. If this isn't supported anymore, that's a bug.

The only significant identifier of a MCVersion is its MCVersionInfo, and
that is identified by its ID, not its version name (cf.  MCVersionInfo>=).

, but it also
> can't easily check against that so it has to be up to the committer
> (although I suppose it could try!).
>
> > Is there a morphic tool to visualize the ancestry graph?
>
> No.  We should work toward eliminating duplicate names rather than
> supporting them.

We should try to avoid them (and we are trying - we put that commit warning
about same or newer names in a long time ago) but MC being a distributed
system there is no way to avoid this completely, so we should support it
properly, as originally designed.

- Bert -