[squeak-dev] Dynabook and interactive content

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Sat Jan 12 20:27:48 UTC 2019

Hi Hilaire,

Thanks for the post.  Very interesting reading.  There is a third option
between dense GUI and code editing.

You mentioned an assistant but I think there is the potential to have an
advanced agent that builds interactive diagrams based on user input.  As an
example drawing a large cross builds a cartesian coordinate.  Pulling
arrows changes the scale, drawing a circle creates a circle, pulling the
edge scales the circle, drawing a line staps to grid.  Adding a Point
creates a point. Typing a letter labels the point.

Having this interaction create code that can be edited and maybe also show
similar templates available would also be very useful.  As we get better at
recognizing user intention [1] using those techniques to enhance user
computer interaction should enable us to design much easier interfaces for
teachers.

1. https://www.autodraw.com/ something like this.  Draw an image and select
a match from the top to change your image.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum