[squeak-dev] Squeak5.2 save morph / load morph from file

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 09:45:24 UTC 2019

Hello Philip

Dave's suggestion to update a copy of the 5.1image to the latest trunk
version and then do the export is worth trying in any case. If that
works out fine then that is an easy and elegant solution.

If that does not work out another strategy I used successfully in the past is:

1. Create a new Morph object called 'lightBook' with property
#isSlideCollection oder #isPagesCollection. The extent should be
slightly larger than your original BookMorph so that you can easily
grab it.

2. go through all pages of your bookmorph.

3. For each BookMorph page do
3a. Create a new Morph object with property #isSlide or #isPage
3b. Go through all submorphs of the BookMorph page and add them to the
morph from 3a
      (Use addMorphBack: to preserve the order)
3c. Add the newly created light object (#isSlide) to the object
'lightBook' (again use addMorphBack:)

4.  Save the object created under point 1.

5. Load the save morph in the target image and rebuild the bookMorph
with the material in a similar way

One of the reasons for this approach is that a  BookMorph uses
PasteUpMorph objects as pages. They may be complex and attract a lot
of code material to be save out which is not easy to know about. This
may cause problems.

This said I did a similar exercise (Moving DATA objects represented by
Morphs) from an 2018 image (5.2a) which I want to archive to a new
2019 image (5.2). I encountered a problem with recomputing the cached
values for TextMorph (fix upcoming in the inbox). Also some morphs
(pages) had problems because of the content involved the import
procedure asked for code which was not in the target image and it was
not easy to get the correct version. So I skipped these very pages, to
avoid going for an in-depth analysis.

HTH
--Hannes